Sweet Roasted-Pepper Salad with Anchovies and Garlic
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
This garlicky pepper salad, with bits of salty anchovies and chopped fresh herbs, comes from Paul Bartolotta. Great with hunks of crusty bread, it's also excellent when spread on sandwiches, mixed into pasta, paired with fresh mozzarella or even pureed as a sauce for roasted fish.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 4 large yellow bell peppers
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 large anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Rub the red and yellow bell peppers with olive oil and arrange them on a baking sheet. Roast the peppers for about 35 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are softened and blackened. Transfer the roasted peppers to a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool.
- Peel and seed the cooled bell peppers and pat them dry. Cut the peppers into thick strips and transfer them to a medium bowl. Add the sliced garlic, chopped anchovies, basil, parsley and the 3/4 cup of olive oil to the peppers and toss to coat completely. Season with salt and pepper and let the peppers stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.