Sweet Potatoes with Honey, Lemon and Toasted Spices
- SERVINGS: 6
Plus: Ultimate Holiday Guide
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a baking dish. Arrange the sweet potato slices in concentric circles in the dish.
- In a bowl, combine the hot water with 1 tablespoon of the honey and the butter; swirl to melt the butter. Pour the liquid over the sweet potatoes. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the cumin and coriander seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 40 seconds; let cool. Transfer the seeds to a spice grinder and grind to a powder. Transfer the powder to a small bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, oil, garlic, ginger and the remaining 1 tablespoon of honey; season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and serve.