- 1 small sweet potato (about 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- One 14-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Wrap the sweet potato in aluminum foil and place on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until soft. Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, remove the foil and scoop out the tender flesh. Discard the skin.
- Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, salt and cayenne to a food processor or high-powered blender. Pulse until everything is combined then add water 1 tablespoon at a time, until the hummus is a smooth, thick and spreadable consistency. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
Hummus can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in a covered container in your fridge or frozen for up to 1 month.
Crackers, bread, or veggies.