- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cobs (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced basil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium bowl, combine the grated sweet potatoes and onion. Squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel, then stir in the egg, flour and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spoon eight 1/4-cup mounds of the sweet potato mixture into the oil and pat them into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sweet potato cakes to a platter and keep warm.
Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the corn and cook, stirring, until some of the kernels are browned, about 3 minutes. Spoon the corn over the sweet potato cakes, sprinkle with the goat cheese and basil and serve with lemon wedges.