Sweet Potato Bruschetta
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
For this sweet, savory and surprisingly addictive appetizer, Jake Tilson recommends using a firm, California-style cottage cheese.
More Bruschetta and Crostini Recipes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (18 ounces)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Twelve 3/4-inch-thick slices of rustic Italian bread
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 50 minutes, or until tender when pierced. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°.
- Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise and scrape the flesh into a medium bowl; discard the skins. Mash the sweet potatoes until smooth. Stir in the cottage cheese, chives, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread on a baking sheet for 10 minutes, or until crisp. Top each slice with the sweet potato mixture and serve.
Make AheadThe sweet potato topping can be made up to 3 days ahead without the chives. Bring to room temperature and stir in the chives before serving.