- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 oregano sprig, plus 1 tablespoon leaves
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup prepared mashed sweet potatoes
- One 12-inch prebaked pizza crust
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella (7 ounces)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced soppressata, cut into thin ribbons
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 450°. Set a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven (alternatively, the pizza can be baked directly on the oven rack). In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the onion and oregano sprig, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until the onion is caramelized, about 10 minutes; add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet if necessary. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until it has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Discard the oregano sprig and season the onion with salt and pepper.
Spread the sweet potatoes over the pizza crust. Top with the mozzarella, onion and soppressata. Scatter the oregano leaves on top. Slide the pizza onto the stone and bake for about 10 minutes, until bubbling and golden in spots. Cut into wedges and serve.
Juicy, medium-bodied Pinot Noir.