Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Gratin
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
Goat cheese fans will love the tang that the cheese adds to this sweet and luscious gratin, with its crispy topping.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 275° and brush a large baking dish with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, cream, honey and garlic and bring just to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the goat cheese and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with a slightly overlapping layer of sweet potatoes. Top with 1/4 cup of the goat cheese cream and spread evenly. Repeat the layering with the remaining sweet potatoes and cream, pouring any excess cream on top; you should have about 5 layers.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter and scatter over the sweet potatoes. Cover the casserole with a sheet of buttered foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake for 1 hour longer, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the top is golden. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.