- 1 1/2 pounds fresh whole okra
- 15 processed and pickled sweet piquanté peppers, roughly chopped
- 3 dried red chile peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet piquanté pepper brine
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black or white peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
Divide the okra and piquanté pepper pieces evenly between 3 sterile canning pint jars. Place 1 dried chile pepper and 1 clove of garlic into each jar.
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the water, vinegar, piquanté pepper brine, mustard seeds, peppercorns, sugar, and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt for the brine. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Once the mixture has reached a rolling boil, pour the brine as evenly as possible into the jars. Seal the jars in a hot water bath according to the jars’ package instructions and store in a cool, dry place for at least a week.
Pickled okra should last up to 6 months in a sealed jar when stored in a cool, dry place. Refrigerate after opening.