- 6 ounces Fresno chiles (about 8 medium), sliced crosswise into rings
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/4 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
How to make this recipe
Pack the chiles and garlic in a 1-quart heatproof jar.
In a small saucepan, toast the mustard seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and peppercorns over low heat, stirring, until very fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, sugar, salt and 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Pour the hot brine over the chiles and garlic and let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate in the brine.
The pickled chiles can be refrigerated in the brine for 3 days.?