Sweet Pepper and Fig Peperonata
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
The Good News The bell peppers in this cinnamon-infused peperonata salad are an excellent source of heart-healthy antioxidants like lutein and beta-carotene, while the sweet figs offer big doses of fiber and potassium.
- 12 dried black Mission figs, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 assorted bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- One 2-inch strip of lemon zest
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped marjoram
- In a shallow bowl, toss the figs with 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the bell peppers, onion, garlic, cinnamon and lemon zest, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the water and thyme, cover and cook until the peppers are tender, 10 minutes. Add the figs and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Discard the garlic, cinnamon, lemon zest and thyme. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly, then stir in the basil, marjoram and the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of oil. Season with salt. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Notes One Serving 329 cal, 15 gm total fat, 2.2 gm saturated fat, 49 gm carb, 10 gm fiber.