Sweet Pepper and Fig Peperonata
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
The Good News The bell peppers in this cinnamon-infused peperonata salad are an excellent source of heart-healthy antioxidants like lutein and beta-carotene, while the sweet figs offer big doses of fiber and potassium.
- 12 dried black Mission figs, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 assorted bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- One 2-inch strip of lemon zest
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped marjoram
- In a shallow bowl, toss the figs with 1 tablespoon of the balsamic vinegar.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the bell peppers, onion, garlic, cinnamon and lemon zest, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute. Add the water and thyme, cover and cook until the peppers are tender, 10 minutes. Add the figs and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Discard the garlic, cinnamon, lemon zest and thyme. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly, then stir in the basil, marjoram and the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of oil. Season with salt. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.