Sweet Pea Soup with Chive Oil
- SERVINGS: 8
Vibrant green in color and tasting of fresh peas, this soup is like a whiff of spring. The quick, easy chive oil adds a fresh herbal note.
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium leeks, white parts only, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen baby peas (4 cups)
- 1 small Idaho potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Cook the bacon in a small skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until barely softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, peas and potato and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover partially and cook until the vegetables are tender but still bright, about 10 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the soup in batches until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Return to the pan; keep warm over low heat.
- Rinse the blender. Add the chives and canola oil and puree until smooth, about 4 minutes; scrape down the sides as necessary. Transfer the chive oil to a small bowl and season with salt.
- Ladle the soup into shallow soup plates, drizzle with the chive oil and sprinkle with the bacon.
A Gewürztraminer: Turley's Martinelli Dry Select; Zind Humbrecht from Alsace.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.