© Lucy Schaeffer
- 2 jalapeños
- 4 pounds fresh peas, shelled, or 4 cups (1 1/4 pounds) thawed frozen baby peas
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Roast the jalapeños directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until charred all over. Transfer to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel, seed and coarsely chop the jalapeños.
- In a blender, puree the jalapeños with the peas and water. Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan.
- Cook the puree over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until piping hot, about 3 minutes. Stir in the butter, season with salt and serve.
Make AheadThe puree can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated for 2 days.