© Fredrika Stjärne
Sweet Noodle Kugel with Dried Cherries
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 12 side-dish servings
- 1 pound wide egg noodles
- 3/4 cup dried sour cherries (4 ounces), chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole-milk cottage cheese
- 4 large eggs, beaten, plus 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3 cups corn flakes, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the egg noodles until al dente. Drain the noodles, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Add the chopped sour cherries to the reserved cooking water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the cottage cheese, beaten eggs, egg yolks, 3/4 cup of the sugar and the vanilla seeds. Drain the dried cherries and add them to the bowl. Stir in the noodles. Pour the noodle mixture into a 9-by-13-inch ceramic baking dish.
- In another bowl, toss the crushed corn flakes with the chopped pecans, melted butter, a pinch of salt and the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar. Scatter the corn-flake mixture over the noodles and bake in the center of the oven for about 45 minutes, until the noodle kugel is set and the topping is golden. Transfer the kugel to a rack and let cool slightly before serving.
Make AheadThe noodle kugel can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and rewarm before serving.