- 2 cups fresh green peas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 thick slice of bacon, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound okra, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 medium tomatoes—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 ears of corn, kernels cut off
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup slivered basil leaves
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the peas until tender, 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat, until browned. Add the onion and cook until just softened. Add the okra and cook for 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and corn and cook until the tomatoes break down. Add the peas with the cooking liquid and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the butter and basil; serve.