Sweet Corn Congee
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
When summer is exploding with corn, add the sweet kernels in a classic rice congee porridge for that extra pop of texture and flavor.
- 1 cup raw long grain white rice, rinsed
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- Two-inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 ears corn, shucked (about 2 cups)
- 5 green onions, sliced
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- In large pot add stock, rice, salt and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or stick at the bottom.
- While the congee is simmering prep the corn and green onion: shucking, cutting, and slicing, as needed.
- Simmer the congee for about 45 minutes then add the corn and green onion.
- Continue to simmer until the congee is thickened and creamy and the corn is plump and tender. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.