Sweet Barbecue Sauce
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 2 cups
Fresh ginger and lemon juice give a bright, spicy kick to the ketchup and molasses in this easy homemade barbecue sauce.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until richly browned, about 20 minutes. Add the butter and melt. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, apple juice, lemon juice, ginger and molasses. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 2 cups, about 25 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree. Season with salt.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.