- 3 red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 10 ears of corn, shucked and kernels cut off the cobs (about 10 cups)
- 3 medium leeks, light green and white parts only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, preferably red (about 8 scallions)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
- Roast the peppers directly over a gas flame or under a preheated broiler, turning, until charred all over. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic and let cool completely. Peel, seed and stem the peppers, then cut them into 1/3-inch dice.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar with the water and cook over moderate heat without stirring until lightly golden in color, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook until the caramel dissolves, about 1 minute; let cool completely.
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the corn kernels and sliced leeks until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes; drain well and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, toss the corn and leeks with the roasted peppers, scallions and sweet-tart dressing. Season the corn with salt and pepper, transfer to a platter and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 3 one day ahead; refrigerate the roasted peppers, dressing and blanched corn and leeks separately.