- 2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cup water
- In a large mortar, pound the chopped garlic with the chile. Add the sugar and mash the ingredients to a paste, adding a few drops of the rice vinegar, as needed, to moisten the mixture. Pound until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the remaining rice vinegar along with the fish sauce and the water and transfer the dipping sauce to a bowl.
The dipping sauce can be refrigerated overnight.
Contributed By Charles Phan Photo Published