Sweet and Spicy Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
- SERVINGS: makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 cup water
- In a large mortar, pound the chopped garlic with the chile. Add the sugar and mash the ingredients to a paste, adding a few drops of the rice vinegar, as needed, to moisten the mixture. Pound until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the remaining rice vinegar along with the fish sauce and the water and transfer the dipping sauce to a bowl.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.