- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or pimentón de la Vera
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Two 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the brown sugar, paprika, allspice and cloves and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar melts. Add the vinegar and tomato paste and cook over moderate heat until thick, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until very thick, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the ketchup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
The ketchup can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.