Sweet-And-Sour Red-Onion Relish
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes about 1 1/2 Cups
There's no denying that Southerners love rich food, but this sweet and tart condiment helps keep Scott Howell's Creamy Chicken Liver Mousse in check. The Campari adds a touch of bitterness.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large red onions (1 1/2 pounds total), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Campari
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 15 minutes. Uncover, add the sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until very tender and lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the raisins, vinegar and Campari and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately low heat until most of the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Transfer the relish to a bowl and let cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
Make Ahead The relish can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.