Sweet-and-Sour Pineapple Chutney
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 1 1/2 cups
Mixing sweet pineapple, onion and vinegar with a quick, light caramel sauce results in a fabulous sweet-and-sour chutney.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple (12 ounces)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons slivered mint leaves
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar with 2 tablespoons of the water; cook over high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until the sugar begins to caramelize around the edges, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the pineapple, onion, crushed red pepper, vinegar and the remaining 3/4 cup of water; season lightly with salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until jamlike, 15 minutes. Stir in the mint. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.