- 2 pounds seedless watermelon, sliced 3/4 inch thick
- 12 pearl onions
- 3 ears of corn, shucked and kernels cut from the cobs
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1/2 pound yellow wax beans
- 1 large Asian pear—peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 2 cups honeydew melon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 1 large star anise pod
How to make this recipe
Trim the watermelon slices, removing the green rind and leaving 1/2 inch of the red flesh on 1/2 inch of the white rind. Cut these pieces into 3/4-inch dice and transfer them to a 1-pint jar.
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the onions, peel them and add them to another 1-pint jar with the corn and the chile. Trim the beans to fit upright in another 1-pint jar. Pack the pear and honeydew into separate 1-pint jars.
In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, salt, vinegar and star anise, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, then discard the star anise. Return the liquid to a boil and carefully pour it into the jars, filling them to the top. Close the jars and refrigerate overnight or for up to two weeks.