- 1 pound small white or red onions (about 20)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Using a paring knife, trim the root and stem ends of the onions. In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the onions over moderate heat until they are just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Drain immediately and peel.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a nonreactive medium saucepan. Add the bay leaves and cook over moderately low heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to brown around the edges, about 7 minutes. Add the vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper. Increase the heat to moderate and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to caramelize, about 2 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Transfer the onions to a bowl and stir gently to coat them with the syrup. Serve at room temperature.