Sweet and Sour Meatball Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes in their juices
- 4 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- In a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions, cover and cook them over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook until the onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes longer. Add the brown sugar and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the beef stock and lemon juice, season lightly with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer the soup over moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the ground pork with the egg white, cornstarch, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of ground pepper and half of the chopped cilantro and scallions. Using lightly moistened hands, roll slightly rounded tablespoons of the meat mixture into balls.
- Add the meatballs to the soup, cover and cook them over moderate heat until they are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining cilantro and scallions. Ladle the soup into deep bowls and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.