Sweet-and-Sour Indian Snack
- SERVINGS: 4
Street carts throughout Bombay serve this spicy Indian snack, which is called Bhel Puri, in newspaper cones.
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes and Tips
- 1 medium red potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup coriander-mint chutney (see Note)
- 1/4 cup tamarind chutney (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala (see Note)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup finely diced, peeled and seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely diced red apple, such as Gala or McIntosh
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated green or unripened mango
- 2 cups plain unsweetened puffed rice
- 1/2 cup Indian crisp chickpea noodles (see Note)
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the diced potato and simmer over moderate heat until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the potato and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the coriander-mint chutney and the tamarind chutney with the lime juice and the chaat masala. Stir in the onion, cucumber, apple, green mango and boiled potato. Fold in the puffed rice and chickpea noodles and serve the spicy snack at once.
NotesThese ingredients can be found at Indian and Middle Eastern markets.