Sweet-and-Sour Catalan Spinach
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 1/2 pounds baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup currants
- In a small saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons of the canola oil. Add the shallot and cook over low heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and thyme sprig and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the vinegar is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 20 minutes. Discard the thyme sprig and stir the honey into the vinegar.
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts in the remaining 1 teaspoon of canola oil over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pine nuts to a plate and let cool.
- Fill a soup pot with 1/2 inch of water and bring to a boil. Add the spinach in handfuls, stirring until wilted. When the spinach is wilted, transfer to a colander and squeeze out the excess water. Wipe out the pot.
- Heat the olive oil in the pot and add the spinach. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a platter and garnish with the currants and toasted pine nuts. Drizzle the sherry vinegar syrup on top and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.