© Lucy Schaeffer
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 10 side-dish servings
For this decidedly modern take on French glazed carrots, Jean-Georges Vongerichten swaps in a fragrant elderflower cordial for sugar and gives the glaze an unexpected kick with crushed pink peppercorns.
More Carrot Recipes
- 2 pounds small or baby carrots, peeled and tops trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup elderflower cordial (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns, coarsely ground in a mortar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Arrange the carrots in a single layer in a skillet just large enough to hold them. Add the olive oil, a pinch of salt and just enough water to cover. Simmer over moderate heat until the carrots are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add the orange and lemon juices, elderflower cordial and pink peppercorns to the saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and swirl in the butter. Stir in the cilantro, season with salt and serve.
Make AheadThe carrots can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before proceeding.
NotesThe Bottle Green Drinks Company brand of nonalcoholic elderflower cordial is sold at specialty-food markets and online at chefswarehouse.com