- 2 pounds small or baby carrots, peeled and tops trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup elderflower cordial (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns, coarsely ground in a mortar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
Arrange the carrots in a single layer in a skillet just large enough to hold them. Add the olive oil, a pinch of salt and just enough water to cover. Simmer over moderate heat until the carrots are tender, about 45 minutes.
Add the orange and lemon juices, elderflower cordial and pink peppercorns to the saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes.
Remove the pan from heat and swirl in the butter. Stir in the cilantro, season with salt and serve.
The carrots can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before proceeding.
The Bottle Green Drinks Company brand of nonalcoholic elderflower cordial is sold at specialty-food markets and online at chefswarehouse.com