- 2 pounds small or baby carrots, peeled and tops trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup elderflower cordial (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns, coarsely ground in a mortar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
- Arrange the carrots in a single layer in a skillet just large enough to hold them. Add the olive oil, a pinch of salt and just enough water to cover. Simmer over moderate heat until the carrots are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add the orange and lemon juices, elderflower cordial and pink peppercorns to the saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and swirl in the butter. Stir in the cilantro, season with salt and serve.
The carrots can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before proceeding.
The Bottle Green Drinks Company brand of nonalcoholic elderflower cordial is sold at specialty-food markets and online at chefswarehouse.com