Sweet-and-Sour Carrot Dressing
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 3/4 CUP
Serve with watercress, raw spinach, Boston or romaine lettuce or cabbage slaw.
- 3 cups fresh carrot juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 drops of hot chili oil
- 2 tablespoons minced scallion
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, bring the carrot juice and lemon juice to a boil over moderately high heat. Cook until the solids separate from the liquid, about 5 minutes, then strain into a bowl. Return the juice to the pan. Boil over moderately high heat until the juice is reduced to 2/3 cup, about 20 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool slightly. Whisk in the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, vegetable oil and chili oil and season with salt. Whisk in the scallion just before serving.