Superfast Salt-and-Sugar Pickles
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
In Japan, salt pickles are a staple. David Chang serves his right after seasoning, while they're still vibrant and crunchy.
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 very large radishes, halved and sliced into thin wedges (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 thin daikon radishes, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 pounds seedless watermelon—rind removed, flesh sliced 1/3 inch thick and cut into 2-inch wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the salt and sugar. Arrange the radishes, daikon, cucumbers and watermelon in separate bowls; sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of the salt mixture over each and toss. Let the pickles stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.