Super Sprout Chopped Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
“I honestly feel energized after eating a bowl of sprouts,” says holistic chef Adina Niemerow, who often makes this crisp salad for clients. While she blends lemon juice with ume plum vinegar and raspberry vinegar, the salad would be equally delicious dressed with balsamic vinegar in place of both.
Terrific Green Salad Recipes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/3-inch sticks
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ume vinegar (Japanese plum vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups lentil, mung or adzuki sprouts
- 1 romaine heart, coarsely chopped
- 4 small Japanese or Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups packed mesclun
- 2 large scallions, finely chopped
- 8 oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 firm, ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 450°. On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss the sweet potato sticks with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; spread in an even layer. Season with salt and bake for about 12 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are just tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, ume and raspberry vinegars, tamari and honey with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Season the dressing with salt.
- In another small bowl, toss the sprouts with 1 tablespoon of the dressing and let stand for 10 minutes, tossing a few times.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, cucumbers, mesclun, scallions, olives and avocado and toss. Add the remaining dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to a platter and top with the roasted sweet potatoes, followed by the marinated sprouts. Sprinkle with the black sesame seeds and serve.