- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/3-inch sticks
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ume vinegar (Japanese plum vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups lentil, mung or adzuki sprouts
- 1 romaine heart, coarsely chopped
- 4 small Japanese or Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups packed mesclun
- 2 large scallions, finely chopped
- 8 oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 firm, ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 450°. On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss the sweet potato sticks with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; spread in an even layer. Season with salt and bake for about 12 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are just tender.
In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, <em>ume</em> and raspberry vinegars, tamari and honey with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Season the dressing with salt.
In another small bowl, toss the sprouts with 1 tablespoon of the dressing and let stand for 10 minutes, tossing a few times.
In a large bowl, combine the romaine, cucumbers, mesclun, scallions, olives and avocado and toss. Add the remaining dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to a platter and top with the roasted sweet potatoes, followed by the marinated sprouts. Sprinkle with the black sesame seeds and serve.