- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 1/4 pounds shelled raw sunflower seeds (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 ounce thickly sliced country ham, finely diced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
How to make this recipe
- In a pressure cooker, melt the butter in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, 3 minutes. Add the sunflower seeds and cook, stirring, 4 minutes. Add the wine; cook until evaporated. Add the stock and ham. Season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover and bring the cooker up to pressure. Maintain pressure over low heat for 7 minutes. Set the cooker in the sink and run cold water over the lid to cool and depressurize it; remove the lid once it can be released without force.
- Drain the sunflower seeds, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Transfer 1/2 cup of the seeds to a blender along with the 1 cup of reserved cooking liquid and puree until creamy.
- Transfer the whole seeds to a skillet. Add the puree, peas and cheese and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the seeds are coated with a creamy sauce, 2 minutes. Spoon the “risotto” into bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Apple-scented, balanced Chardonnay.