- 2 well-trimmed boneless lamb loins ( 3/4 pound each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds (3 1/2 ounces), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- Lavender Balsamic Vinaigrette
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and brush lightly with the egg white. On a dinner plate, toss the sunflower seeds with the flour. Roll the lamb loins in the seeds until evenly and thoroughly coated.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the lamb and cook over moderately high heat, turning with a spatula, until the sunflower seed crust is browned all over, about 2 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a baking sheet and roast for about 7 minutes for medium rare. Carve each loin into 12 slices.
- Arrange 3 lamb medallions on each of 8 warmed dinner plates. Drizzle some of the Lavender Balsamic Vinaigrette around the lamb and serve at once.
This strongly flavored dish begs for a concentrated, earthy wine with an aroma of dried violet: such as, a Merlot from Washington, California Zinfandel or a red from the southern Rhône Valley.