Sunchoke Hash with Fried Eggs
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The key to making a good potato hash, it turns out, is adding nutty, slightly sweet roasted sunchokes and a little bit of well-aged cheddar cheese. Buy the smoothest, least knobby sunchokes you can find because they're easier to peel.
- 2 1/2 pounds sunchokes—scrubbed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound German Butterball, baby Yukon or baby white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, such as Beecher's or Bleu Mont Bandage Wrapped Cheddar, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 4 small scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs or duck eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the sunchokes and potatoes on 2 separate baking sheets. Toss the sunchokes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until fork-tender, 30 minutes for the potatoes and 35 minutes for the sunchokes.
- Transfer the sunchokes and potatoes to a large bowl and mash with a wooden spoon or potato masher. Stir in the cheese and scallions and season the hash with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over moderate heat. Scoop two 3/4-cup measures of the hash into the skillet and flatten into 4-inch rounds. Cook over moderate heat until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plates and keep warm. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon each of the butter and olive oil and the remaining hash.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in it. Add the eggs and cook over moderate heat until the whites are set and the yolks are slightly runny, about 3 minutes. Serve the hash topped with the eggs.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.