Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- SERVINGS: 4-6
The leathery quality and concentrated flavor of sun-dried tomatoes make them ideal for a flavorful pesto, which is great with spaghetti or spaghettini. cook and drain one pound of pasta, reserving approximately one cup of the pasta cooking water and leaving the pasta dripping wet. Toss the pasta with the pesto, adding some of the reserved cooking water as needed.
- 1 cup firmly packed drained sun-dried tomatoes in oil (from two 8-ounce jars) or 2/3 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- Finely chop the oil-packed tomatoes. If using dry-packed tomatoes, place them in a small bowl with just enough hot water to cover until they soften, about 20 minutes. Drain them in a strainer set over a small bowl and squeeze out excess water; reserve the soaking liquid. Finely chop the tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and crushed red pepper. Add the olive oil and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. stir in 1/4 cup of water or tomato soaking liquid. Just before serving, stir in the parsley and cheese.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.