- 1 cup firmly packed drained sun-dried tomatoes in oil (from two 8-ounce jars) or 2/3 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino cheese
How to make this recipe
Finely chop the oil-packed tomatoes. If using dry-packed tomatoes, place them in a small bowl with just enough hot water to cover until they soften, about 20 minutes. Drain them in a strainer set over a small bowl and squeeze out excess water; reserve the soaking liquid. Finely chop the tomatoes.
In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and crushed red pepper. Add the olive oil and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. stir in 1/4 cup of water or tomato soaking liquid. Just before serving, stir in the parsley and cheese.
The pesto can be refrigerated for up to 1 month; coat lightly with olive oil and cover tightly. Let return to room temperature before proceeding.