Sun-Dried Tomato Flans with Arugula Salad
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Maria Hines likes to serve savory flans as appetizers. Here, sun-dried tomatoes make the custard taste especially luscious.
More Vegetarian Recipes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato paste (one 3-ounce tube)
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 loosely packed cups baby arugula (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup marcona almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter four 3-ounce ramekins. In a small saucepan, heat the cream with the sun-dried tomato paste until simmering. Season with salt and white pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the egg yolk. Gradually whisk in the hot cream.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve and pour it into the prepared ramekins. Set the ramekins in a small baking pan. Add enough hot water to the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in the center rack of the oven for 30 minutes, until the flans are set. Remove the ramekins from the water bath and let them cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the olive oil. Add the arugula, olives and almonds, season with salt and white pepper and toss.
- Run the tip of a small knife around each flan. Invert a small plate over each flan and using pot holders, invert again. Gently tap the ramekins to release the flans. Mound the salad alongside the flans and serve right away.
The creaminess of this dish is highlighted by the slight tannins in a rosé from Provence.