© Jonelle Weaver
Summertime Tomato and Leek Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
This is a sharp dish, with several different levels of acidity and pungency. But if you begin with good tomatoes, it's also sweet.
- 8 thin leeks (about 2 pounds), white and tender green, split almost in half lengthwise and rinsed thoroughly
- 3 small tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Flat-leaf parsley sprigs or minced chives, for garnish
- In a large skillet, cook the leeks in boiling salted water until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the leeks in a colander, refresh them under cold running water and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes with the oil and vinegar and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer the leeks to a platter and spoon the tomatoes and vinaigrette over the leeks. Serve garnished with parsley sprigs.