- 1 cup fresh peas (about 1 pound in the pod) or thawed frozen peas
- 3/4 pound penne, orecchiette or medium shells
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the fresh peas until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse the peas under cold water.
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the pasta, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
Add the olive oil to the large saucepan, then add the peas and corn and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil and cook just until warmed through. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter; season with salt and pepper. Add the pasta, tossing to coat with the sauce. Return to the bowl, add the Parmesan and serve immediately.
Tossed green salad.
A clean, lean Pinot Grigio from Italy is all the contrast the sweet corn, the peas and the tangy tomatoes in this pasta need.