- 1 cup fresh baby lima beans (from about 1 1/2 pounds in the pod) or other shelling bean
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (raw, from 2 ears)
- 2 nectarines, cut into thin wedges
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large orange bell pepper, finely julienned
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a small saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the lima beans until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the beans and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lime zest and juice with the olive oil, scallion, jalapeño and shallot; season the dressing with salt. Gently fold in the lima beans, corn, nectarines, avocado, orange pepper and tomatoes. Refrigerate the “ceviche” for at least 2 hours. Fold in the cilantro just before serving and serve the “ceviche” chilled.
The salad can be refrigerated for up to 8 hours.
Tropical-fruity Sauvignon Blanc from South Africa is a nice accompaniment to this nectarine-studded take on ceviche.