Summer Tomato Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Sylvie Chantecaille calls this a kinder, gentler version of gazpacho, which she finds acidic. The goat cheese flavored with basil and cilantro helps mellow the soup's taste.
- 2 1/2 pounds red tomatoespeeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 3/4 pounds kirby cucumbers, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons chopped basil
- 5 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
- 12 sugar snap peas, halved
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- In a large bowl, toss the chopped tomatoes with the cucumbers, tomato juice, olive oil, lemon juice, onion and 3 tablespoons each of the basil and cilantro. Working in batches, puree the vegetables in a blender. Pour the soup into another large bowl, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend the goat cheese with the remaining 2 tablespoons each of basil and cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the sugar snaps until just tender, about 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold water, then pat dry and halve.
- Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and spoon a dollop of herbed goat cheese into the center of each. Garnish with the sugar snaps, cherry tomatoes, radishes and avocado and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.