- 1 cup dried navy beans (about 7 ounces), picked over and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, plus 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 thin slice of bacon (about 1 1/2 ounces), finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup thickly sliced fresh or thawed frozen okra (about 5 ounces)
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Put the beans in a bowl, cover with water and let soak overnight. Drain the beans, put them in a medium saucepan and add the bay leaves, garlic cloves and 1 1/2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to moderately low and cook, partially covered, until tender but not mushy, about 1 hour. Season with salt about 10 minutes before the beans are done. Drain the beans and discard the bay leaves and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat until just crisp; pour off any excess fat. Add the onion and minced garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the beans, vegetable stock and thyme and simmer over moderately low heat until the liquid is reduced by two-thirds, about 15 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the corn and okra and cook until tender. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until slightly softened, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
One Serving Calories 293 kcal, Protein 16 gm, Carbohydrates 53 gm, Cholesterol .9 mg, Total Fat 3.9 gm, Saturated Fat .7 gm.