© Con Poulos
Summer Squid Sauté
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This unusual combination of crisp sugar snap peas, tender squid and salty pancetta requires just 10 minutes on the stove.
Slideshow: Tasty Squid Recipes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 thin slices of pancetta (1 1/2 ounces), finely diced
- 1 1/4 pounds cleaned, small squid—bodies cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings, tentacles left whole
- In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the snap peas, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, tossing, until blistered in spots and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer the snap peas to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet along with the pancetta. Cook over low heat until the pancetta fat has rendered and starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the squid, season with salt and pepper, and cook over high heat, tossing, until just cooked, about 2 minutes. Return the snap peas to the skillet and toss for about 1 minute. Serve right away.
Minerally, northern Italian white.