- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 pound baby summer squash, thinly sliced, preferably on a mandoline
- 2 cups mixed baby greens
- 3/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Shaved ricotta salata, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, salt, sugar and currants and warm over moderate heat just until the sugar dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let cool slightly. Drain, reserving 2 teaspoons of the pickling liquid.
In a large bowl, toss the squash with the greens, basil, olive oil, currants and the pickling liquid. Transfer to a platter. Top with the hazelnuts, garnish with cheese and serve.