Summer Fruit Salad with Arugula and Almonds
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Suzanne Goin typically makes this savory and sweet salad with whatever fruit looks best at the market. Ripe green or black figs are some of her favorites and a couple of crushed ones can be used as the base for the vinaigrette, in place of the nectarine.
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds (5 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon almond oil (optional)
- Kosher salt
- 4 large nectarines (2 pounds), 3 sliced 1/4 inch thick and 1 coarsely chopped
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint blackberries or Persian mulberries
- 4 bunches of arugula (1 1/4 pounds), large stems discarded
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small pie plate, toast the almonds for 8 minutes, until fragrant. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon of the almond oil and sprinkle with salt.
- In a mini processor, puree the chopped nectarine. Transfer the puree to a small bowl and add the shallot, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in the olive oil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of almond oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the sliced nectarines and the blackberries in a medium bowl. Drizzle on one-third of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. In a large shallow bowl, season the arugula with salt and pepper and toss gently with the remaining vinaigrette. Gently toss in the dressed fruit. Garnish with the almonds and serve immediately.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.