Summer Fruit Salad with Arugula and Almonds
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 10
Suzanne Goin typically makes this savory and sweet salad with whatever fruit looks best at the market. Ripe green or black figs are some of her favorites and a couple of crushed ones can be used as the base for the vinaigrette, in place of the nectarine.
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds (5 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon almond oil (optional)
- Kosher salt
- 4 large nectarines (2 pounds), 3 sliced 1/4 inch thick and 1 coarsely chopped
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pint blackberries or Persian mulberries
- 4 bunches of arugula (1 1/4 pounds), large stems discarded
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small pie plate, toast the almonds for 8 minutes, until fragrant. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon of the almond oil and sprinkle with salt.
- In a mini processor, puree the chopped nectarine. Transfer the puree to a small bowl and add the shallot, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in the olive oil and the remaining 1 tablespoon of almond oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the sliced nectarines and the blackberries in a medium bowl. Drizzle on one-third of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. In a large shallow bowl, season the arugula with salt and pepper and toss gently with the remaining vinaigrette. Gently toss in the dressed fruit. Garnish with the almonds and serve immediately.