- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cantaloupe, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 pound fresh apricots, quartered
- 1/2 pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 pound red seedless grapes
- 6 fresh figs, quartered
- 2 apples, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 pears, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 peaches, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 banana, sliced
- Purple basil leaves, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil over moderate heat. Add the sugar and vanilla and simmer until a light syrup forms, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Pour the warm syrup into a large bowl. Gently stir in the fruit and let macerate at room temperature for several hours, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate the fruit salad until chilled. Garnish with purple basil leaves just before serving.