- 1 loaf challah (1 1/4 pounds), sliced, crusts trimmed
- 1 pound strawberries, quartered
- 3 1/2 pints raspberries
- 3 1/2 pints blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Line a 2 1/2-quart soufflé dish with plastic wrap, leaving at least 6 inches of overhang all around. Line the bottom with a few slices of challah, overlapping them slightly. Line the side of the dish with challah, overlapping the slices slightly. Reserve a few slices for the top.
- In a large saucepan, combine the berries, sugar and lemon zest. Simmer over low heat just until the sugar is dissolved and the berries release some of their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon the berries and their juices into the challah-lined dish, mounding them slightly above the top. Top with the remaining challah and press down to compact so the challah is flush with the top of the dish. Fold the plastic wrap over the pudding. Top with a small plate and weight it down with a heavy can. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the plate and peel back the plastic wrap. Invert a plate over the pudding; flip both the plate and the soufflé dish, then lift off the dish. Discard the plastic. Cut the pudding into wedges and serve.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated for 2 days.
One Serving 329 Calories, 6 gm Total Fat, 1 gm Saturated Fat, 67 gm Carbohydrates, 14 gm Fiber.
Lightly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.