Summer Blackberry Custards
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 12
Alain Coumont makes these ethereal, citrusy custards with wild blackberries gathered from his property. Try them with blueberries, raspberries or pitted cherries, too.
- 6 cups blackberries (2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Spread 1/2 cup of the blackberries in each of twelve 4-ounce gratin dishes. Arrange the gratin dishes on 2 baking sheets.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk with the cream, eggs, brown sugar, flour, vanilla, lemon juice and orange zest until smooth. Ladle 1/4 cup of the custard into each dish; bake for about 15 minutes, until the centers are set. Transfer the custards to wire racks and let stand for 30 minutes. Serve.